Thursday, April 10, 2008

Diet Osso Bucco

I love cooking and in particular, I love braising, especially in the colder months. So we had a cold spell last week in Melbourne and I saw some Osso Bucco at the Butchers pre-diet commencement. I couldn't help myself and had to buy some. My freezer was out of space and I had to use it up... what to do?

Well, some innovation and renovation and I came up with my own version of a diet Osso Bucco.

Diet Osso Bucco

(6 servings)
2 tablespoons of flour
1.2kg veal shanks, trimmed of fat
Oil spray
4 carrots (medium)
1 large onion
2 pieces of celery
1 can of chopped tomatoes
200ml white wine
250ml beef stock (from 1 cube)
1 tablespoon fresh sage
1 tsp dried thyme


Add salt and pepper to flour and coat shanks with the flour.

Spray non-stick pan with oil and brown shanks over med-high heat. Remove shanks

Dice all the raw vegetables in similar sizes while shanks are braising and then fry them in the same pan over med-low heat. When veggies soften, pour in wine and evaporate the alcohol.

Add canned tomatoes and stock to softened veggies with juice included. Add herbs. Salt and pepper to taste .

Place shanks with the veggies and sauce in slow cooker. Liquid should almost cover shanks. If insufficient, add extra water.

Cook on high for 4 h and low for 4h (Or low for 10h). It is ready when shanks are soft enough to break apart with a fork.

Voila!

Calories (per serve): 300
Fat: 2.5g
Protein: 45.8g
Carbs: 18.8g

No comments: